|School Culture, AUGUST 2011 COHORT||Deyanira Castilleja (16)|
|Making Students Visible, AUGUST 2011 COHORT||Deyanira Castilleja (16)|
|Cultural Identities in the Classroom, AUGUST 2011 COHORT||Deyanira Castilleja (16)|
The International Certificate of Teaching Mastery: Culture of Understanding (Course 4)
This course is designed to help teachers reach all students and to build their professional practice upon diversity as a source of strength and understanding for curriculum development and classroom learning. It focuses on multicultural competence in the classroom and explores cultural learning and celebration as a central feature of teaching. It addresses the role of a variety of instructional approaches to foster a culture of understanding in the classroom, and explores the importance of creating supportive and collaborative professional discourse in schools. The course also discusses ways to create and sustain connections with classrooms worldwide.
1. To explore the ideals, guiding principles, and goals of multiculturalism in the classroom.
2. To assist teachers in exploring their own cultural identity and multicultural competence in the classroom.
3. To assist teachers in developing the skill of compassionate listening in themselves and their students.
4. To help teachers develop a plan for knowing their students, affirming their voices, experiences, and stories, and for making the cultural identities of their students visible in the classroom.
5. To examine the role of Appreciative Inquiry and Cooperative Learning in developing cultural inclusion, intercultural and culturally-sensitive dialogue, and appreciation for plurality.
6. To examine the importance of Service Learning in developing and nurturing social responsibility.
7. To assist teachers in developing their own plans for implementing Service Learning in their schools and communities.
8. To assist teachers in using collaborative discourse to define, grow, and improve their school culture to create a strong professional learning community.
Source: Teachers Without Borders
License: Creative Commons
Donations: Donate to Teachers Without Borders